Ten Class of 2019 Graduates Earn Honor
The DeKalb County School District (DCSD) is pleased to announce that ten graduating seniors in the Class of 2019 have received National Merit Scholarships.
Following three announcements from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), students from Chamblee Charter, Druid Hills, Dunwoody, and Lakeside high schools have been named among 7,600 winners nationwide.
DCSD students are represented in all three categories—Corporate-Sponsored, National Merit $2,500, and College-Sponsored—with each offering a distinct blend of benefits. Each student was required to write a personal essay, provide information about extracurricular activities, list awards, and describe any leadership positions held.
The winners are considered to have the strongest combination of academic skills and achievements, extracurricular accomplishments, and potential for success in a rigorous college environment.
The following student received a Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarship, courtesy of a gracious community partner as well as NMSC:
• Oliver Hewett – Lakeside High School – Southern Company
Hewett is one of 1,000 distinguished high school scholars to be awarded a Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarship. As a selectee, he is eligible for renewable funds ranging from $500 to $10,000 per year while pursuing his undergraduate degree, with some students receiving a single payment between $2,500 and $5,000.
The following students received $2,500 National Merit Scholarships:
• Rohan Misra – Chamblee Charter High School
• Alyssa Wu – Chamblee Charter High School
• Noah Covey – Dunwoody High School
• Lydia Fletcher – Dunwoody High School
• Zoe Weiss – Lakeside High School
DCSD students who received the $2,500 National Merit Scholarship were chosen among 2,500 others in a pool numbering more than 15,000 nationwide. Each will receive a one-time payment of $2,500.
The following students received College-Sponsored Merit Scholarships, courtesy of the accompanying higher education institution as well as NMSC:
• Brian Hazelwood – Chamblee Charter High School – University of Georgia
• Hailey Maxwell – Chamblee Charter High School – University of Georgia
• Maxwell Mueller – Druid Hills High School – University of Georgia
• Josie Douglas-Brown – Lakeside High School – Emory University
The winners are among 3,500 selected nationwide. Each student is eligible for funds ranging between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution sponsoring the scholarship.
For more information on the NMSC, visit www.nationalmerit.org.