As DeKalb County School District students continue its virtual learning experience, School Nutrition Services continue to provide meals. The District has different meal delivery models to ensure access for all students.
While 30 schools have been designated as production sites, meals are offered at 123 sites and transported to 167 or more distribution sites. The school nutrition staff provides prepackaged grab and go meals for distribution on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11a.m. – 1 p.m. Multiple meal distribution days decreases the number of times families have to travel.
To support parents that are working during the day, meals can be pre-ordered one day prior to the distribution day by contacting one of the 30 meal preparation locations or completing the preordering form located on the website. Preordered meals can be picked up at the designated location between the hours of 6:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Food Safety Tips for Receipt of School Meals
Once the meals are received, it’s important to safely handle the meals. Each bag is provided with instructions to properly store and consume the prepackaged food items.
- Always wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before handling the food
- Perishable (cold) food that is not eaten immediately upon delivery should be refrigerated as soon as possible. This includes sandwiches, milk, dairy products, vegetables and fruit.
- Food items should be consumed once opened.
- Discard any perishable (cold) food that is not eaten or refrigerated within 2 hours of delivery.
- Consume refrigerated food within 4 days after delivery and discard after the fourth day.
These simple tips will further safeguard and ensure food safety for our students.
- Ensuring Access to the Child Nutrition Programs in the Event of School Closures.
- Food Research & Action center.
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents/Guardians to Pick up Meals for Children- Extension #2
- Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Food Safety at Home. U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- Keep Food Safe!
- Food Safety Basics.
- United States Department of Agriculture
- Food Safety and Inspection Service.