The Research, Data, and Evaluation (RDE) unit supports the mission and goals of the DeKalb County School District by providing fair, accurate, and relevant information that promotes a culture of informed decision making. Through collaboration and communication with both internal and external stakeholders, RDE seeks to provide our constituents with high-quality data resulting in insights and solutions to the district’s most pressing challenges.
RDE will operate as the center for the district’s data analysis and management and will ensure that research conducted by affiliates, employees and vendors align with the district’s strategic plan and commitment to its stakeholders.
RDE conducts district-wide surveys and data collection for instructional improvement and planning initiatives; coordinates and manages data requests to conduct educational research; compiles reviews of literature and identifies current trends in education to support the district leadership in planning for the future; provides research consultation; and offers technical training and assistance to schools, departments, and professional staff.
The RDE team is committed to creating data-driven solutions that
- Inform decisions made by policymakers and stakeholders within and without the district
- Provide insight about the effectiveness of district programs and policies for future endeavors
- Lead to innovation in research and evaluation methodologies using existing tools and resources
Commitment to Accuracy
Accuracy is key to each aspect of the department’s operation. The team strives to ensure that data provided are
- Complete and meets requested specifications
- Accurate during every stage—from retrieval to analysis.
- Accessible for seamless communication between departments
- External Agency Research Information & Instructions for Conducting Research
- Local School Research Information & Instructions for Conducting Research
- Doctoral Degree Research Information & Instructions for Conducting Research
Research Proposals ProceduresAll prospective researchers who are interested in conducting research in DeKalb County School District are required to submit a formal application and receive written approval before any research activities may begin. The district has adopted new guidelines for conducting research that should streamline the process.
|Submission Deadline (Midnight)||Reviewed||Decision Letter Sent
|August 23, 2019||September 2019||October, 2019|
|December 13, 2019||January 2020||February, 2020|
|April 24, 2020||May 2020||June, 2020|
– addresses conducting research, administering surveys and questionnaires, and defines what the district considers to be research and/or data collection proposals
Evaluation of Instructional Program (IJ)
– addresses the evaluation of instructional programs
1701 Mountain Industrial Boulevard | Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Dr. Knox Phillips
Dr. Joy Mordica
Director of Research, Data & Evaluation
Dr. Carol Thurman
Dr. Michael Hines
Data Analyst III
Dr. Leslie Hodges
Data Analyst III