Annual awards honors exemplary teachers and employees
Exemplary DeKalb County School District employees were honored during the district’s 6th Annual Academy of Educational Excellence Awards on November 10, 2018 at the Georgia World Congress Center.
The top teachers, principals, and support professionals were recognized for their contributions to student achievement. The district-wide winners include:
- Principal of The Year: Bianca Hamilton, DeKalb Elementary School of the Arts
- Teacher of the Year: David Collins, Fernbank Science Center
- Educational Support Professional I of The Year: Demetrius Lofton, Peachcrest Elementary
- Educational Support Professional II of The Year: Tonya Edwards, Ashford Park Elementary
- Educational Support Professional of the Year, Central Office: Cheryl McEwan, Region 5
Employees are nominated by their colleagues and a panel of education professionals select the winners in each category.
“Each day, the men and women of this district share their talent, dedication and passion to make sure every boy and girl in our care has an opportunity to excel in college and become a contributing member of our society,” said Superintendent/CEO R. Stephen Green. “I could not be more proud of our Educational Excellence Awards, and the entire DeKalb County School District team.”
The winners from each school were nominated based on their impact in the 2017-2018 school year. View all winners by region below.