The Department of K-12 Curriculum and Instruction is committed to the successful implementation of the Georgia Standards of Excellence. The DCSD English Language Arts curriculum promotes high expectations for teachers and students and results in meaningful student learning.
The vision guiding these standards emphasizes that all students must have the opportunities and resources to develop the literacy skills they need to pursue life’s goals and to participate fully as informed, productive members of society. The English Language Arts Curriculum includes opportunities for students to complete engaging and authentic tasks that integrate reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Assessment is a crucial component of the English Language Arts curriculum. Periodic assessments are administered and are intended to measure student progress during units of study. Assessments provide data that indicates student progress toward mastery of the Georgia Standards of Excellence and provides schools with information to utilize interventions for students in need of focused support. Assessments include:
- Georgia Department of Education End of Course (EOC) and End of Grade (EOG) Milestones Assessments
- Quarterly district-wide benchmark assessments
- Teacher-developed assessments
- The Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) universal screener
For additional information, please see the DCSD Assessment and Accountability page.
The Department of K-12 Curriculum and Instruction distributes information on various contests and competitions for schools throughout the year. Yearly national, state, and local contents and competitions include:
- the DeKalb County Schools Spelling Bee (a qualifying event for the Georgia Association of Educators State Spelling Bee and the National Spelling Bee)
- the Young Georgia Author’s Writing Competition sponsored by the Georgia Language Arts Supervisors
- Dr. Lynn Angus Ramos (Coordinator)
- 678.676.0229 (fax)
- Mr. Woodsen Plummer (Coordinator)
- 678-676-0229 (fax)