From cyberbullying to social networking, Cyber Safety aims to raise awareness of emerging online issues and to encourage students and staff to use the internet and social media more responsibly. Join us in promoting cyber safety by having online discussions using the hashtag #CyberSafeDeKalb.
Social websites and smartphone apps can be a fun, exciting and convenient way to connect with our family members, friends and new people across the world. But if not used properly, they can also expose unsuspecting users to risks such as child predators, human traffickers, cyberbullies, identity thieves and other criminals.
DeKalb County School District is committed to helping both students and families understand these risks and why they should be taken seriously. Beginning on Safer Internet Day in February and continuing through the year, the District urges you to stay safe online by joining our #CyberSafeDeKalb. This page contains a wealth of resources from experts on how students and parents are well informed how to avoid the pitfalls of failing to be safe online.
Below is an example from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, of why these risks should be taken seriously.
According to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, being Cyber Aware means pledging:
- cell & home phone numbers
- home address
- sexual messages
- inappropriate pictures and videos
- post anything rude, offensive, or threatening
- send or forward images and information that might embarrass, hurt, or harass someone
- take anyone’s personal information and use it to damage his or her reputation
- ask my parent or guardian’s permission before going
- have a parent or guardian accompany me
- meet in a public place
- not respond
- save the evidence
- tell my parent, guardian, or another trusted adult
- report to the website, cell phone company, CyberTipline.com, or the police
Learn more about how to stay connected responsibly by watching the video clips below created by The Bridge TV 24:
Cyber Safety Tips – Part 1
Cyber Safety Tips – Part 2
Cyber Safety Tips – Part 3
Cyber Safety Tips – Part 4