Girls Who Game (GWG) is an initiative focused on increasing young girls’ access to technology to prepare them for success in a digital world. This extracurricular gaming program gives female students the opportunity to learn through play, with a focus on building global competencies and computational thinking using Minecraft: Education Edition. The Girls who Game (GWG) program supports girls in underserved communities by focusing with a focus on three pillars:
- Promote a girl-centric ecosystem to build confidence.
- Foster interest in STEM and STEM-related fields, through authentic application
- Provide mentorship to build leadership at all levels
DCSD STEM in partnership with Fernbank Science Center will host a free GWG Virtual Summer Camp Program from June 6 through June 17, 2022. The program will run Monday – Friday from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. This summer the girls will be challenged with using the design thinking process to collaboratively work in virtual teams to design and build an exhibit space for Fernbank Science Center using Minecraft: Education Edition. At the end of the process, the teams will have the opportunity to pitch their design to a panel of community judges.
- All participants will need access to a device which can support Minecraft: Education Edition.
- This program is limited to 50 female participants who will be in grades 6 – 8 for the 2022-23 school year.
- Scholars must be registered by April 29, 2022 in order to participate.
We are looking forward to an amazing GWG experience in June!
For more information please contact:
Andrea Wright, STEM Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or (678) 676 – 0240
Vashonda Davis, Fernbank Science Center Coordinator: email@example.com or (678) 874-7112
Social Media: @dcsdstem @FernbankScience @dcsdctae #GirlsWhoGame