Dexter Mosley Act (Grades 6-12)
Procedure for Home School Students to Participate in Extracurricular and Interscholastic Activities
Under Senate Bill 51, also known as the Dexter Mosley Act, home school students in grades six through twelve are eligible to participate in extracurricular and interscholastic activities in the DeKalb County School District (DCSD). Participation is only available at the public school in which a home school student would be enrolled based on residence. Also, a home school student shall complete at least one qualifying course during any semester the student participates in an extracurricular or interscholastic activity. A “qualifying course” means an on-site course, an online course facilitated by DCSD, or a dual enrollment course.
To be eligible for participation in DCSD, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Must be officially registered in Georgia’s Home Study Program and provide a copy of the Declaration of Intent filed with the State of Georgia for the year in which the student will participate in the activity;
- Must reside in DeKalb County;
- Must enroll in and complete at least one qualifying course through the school during the semester of participation in the extracurricular or interscholastic activity; and
- Must complete the tryout process for the extracurricular or interscholastic activity applicable to all students and provide any required supporting documentation. If the student is selected, the student is expected to pay participation fees; and meet any other requirements including age, academic, behavioral, conduct, disciplinary, residence, zoning, and other rules and requirements applicable to all student participants.
Families interested in enrolling under the Dexter Mosely Act must complete the same online enrollment application as full-time students. Once the online registration process has been completed, a school-level representative will contact you with additional information.
Items Needed for Registration:
- An official document showing proof of birth date (birth certificate, certified birth record, official transcript).
- Valid Georgia Certificate of Immunization (GA Form #3231)
- Evidence of Vision, Hearing, Dental, and Nutrition Screening (GA Form #3300-Rev. 2013)
- Current proof of residency (mortgage, lease, or utility bill showing name of parent/guardian and current address)
- Valid government-issued photo ID of the adult (parent or legal guardian) registering the child (driver’s license, military ID, passport)
- Child’s social security card/number (or you may sign a waiver)
- Verification of home school enrollment (copy of Declaration of Intent)
- A copy of the student’s most recent annual progress assessment report
- Written statement by the home study program instructor that verifies the student is currently receiving a passing grade in each home study course, is maintaining satisfactory progress toward advancement, and meets the requirements for participation in the specified activity