Student Health Services
Student Health Services advocates, educates, and provides resources to deliver general health services to students and to provide appropriate health care in emergency situations. The vision is to identify and remove health barriers to insure every child enrolled in the DeKalb County School District will have the opportunity to experience an optimal learning experience. The services include administering medication, conducting screenings, administering first aid, reviewing immunization records, and providing a multitude of other health related services, including, but not limited to, vision, hearing, and scoliosis screenings.
The Student Health Services program has one coordinator, registered nurse (RN) and three consulting registered nurses (RN’s) who provide supervision of healthcare services to all school based nurses and school health personnel; consults with school staff members, administrators, students and parents; provides training and staff development; and collaborates on student health screenings and communicable disease surveillance with the state and county agencies. Each consulting nurse serves an assigned cluster of elementary, middle and high schools.
- Provide appropriate care in emergency situations
- Provide health education
- Provide mandated vision, hearing, and scoliosis screening
- Monitor immunizations
- Provide training
- Serve as a resource
- Create an environment conducive to healthy school living
- Provide first aid, appropriate medication intervention, and related health services for all students
- Comply with health regulations
SHS delivers school health services through a team approach and serves as a resource for all school health related issues.
- Oversight of the school-based clinics
- First Aid and CPR Training
- Coordination of the district Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Program
- Immunization audit compliance oversight and assistance
- Oversight of State Mandated Screenings
- Provide health education and inservice trainings
- Management and prevention of communicable diseases
- Emergency care and crisis intervention
SHS delivers school health services through a team approach and serves as a resource for all school health related issues to maximize the academic potential and well being of our students.
- Manage acute and chronic illnesses
- Reduce the number of students sent home sick and reduce unnecessary absenteeism due to health related issues
- Establishing policies and procedures for school health issues and procedures
- Provide and coordinate school health screenings (hearing, vision and scoliosis)
- Identify and address health related barriers to learning
- Support nutritional and comfort needs
- Contact Number: 678.676.2004
- Address: East DeKalb Campus 5873 Memorial Drive Stone Mountain, GA 30083
- JoAnn Harris
Coordinator, Student Health Services