Minor bus route adjustments planned initially following I-85 closure.
DeKalb County School District (DCSD) plans only minor adjustments this week to school bus routes following the temporary closure of Interstate 85. However, students are encouraged to arrive at the bus stops on time to allow buses to best negotiate the anticipated traffic challenges.
DCSD will take the following steps as it, and other motorists, adjust to the situation:
- The district’s Transportation Department will send teams into the field during the morning and afternoon bus schedules this week. The real-time data gathered by this action will be used to make additional routing adjustments as necessary depending on traffic conditions.
- If adjustments are required, details regarding specific changes to bus routes and school start times will be communicated to our students and parents via social media, the DCSD website, local newspapers, calling posts, and other communication channels.
- DCSD school bus drivers, monitors, and other transportation staff will report to work 30 minutes early next week.
- Bottled water will be distributed on those routes impacted by longer ride times.
- DCSD has also increased its communication with the Georgia Department of Transportation, the DeKalb County Police Department, and other first responders.