THE FIRST VIRTUAL DEKALB HELEN RUFFIN READING BOWL
- Each school will participate in six rounds.
- Each round will consist of 10 questions.
- Alternates may be substituted between rounds.
- Teams will receive 10 points for each answer.
- There will be no penalties for wrong answers.
- There will be five members on a team and up to five alternates.
- A school may have not more than one team.
RULES DURING THE GAME/ROUND
- Students will wear headsets with a microphone.
- Students must be muted and attentive while questions are being read and should not be typing on their keyboard or flipping through the pages of a book.
- The Moderator and students’ camera must be on at all times.
- To prepare to buzz in the chat box, students will type their ID# which consists of school initial and team member number. Then, hover finger over the enter key until the question is read. No other text in the chat area will be accepted such as emojis or special characters.
- When the student wishes to answer a question, press enter. The first student to buzz in must be acknowledged by console judge before they unmute.
- Student has 10 seconds to answer question.
- If question is correct student will receive 10 points for their team.
- If the answer is incorrect, the question will be repeated for the other team. They will have 10 seconds to answer after buzzing in, being acknowledge by console judge, and unmuting to speak.
- If neither team buzzes in, the moderator will answer the question and proceed to the next question.
- If a contestant buzzes in before the completion of a question, the console judge says “stop” the moderator stops reading, console judge will acknowledge the contestant, student unmutes and must answer immediately. If an incorrect answer is given, the moderator reads the entire question and the opposing team has an opportunity to answer the question within 10 second.
- Any concern about an answer to a question MUST be addressed by the student before the next question is asked. The student will get the attention of the moderator and console judge by typing “C” in the chat box. Once acknowledged by the console judge, the student will unmute and voice their concern. Every effort will be made to reconcile any challenges.
- Moderator will click on the cell that contains a copy of the page that contains the answer from the book to read the passage on the page where the answer is located. The Challenge room will be contacted if further verification is needed.
- Coaches should remain in the room with your team. Your team may need you during the round. However, you may NOT initiate a challenge only the team members.
- If a round ends in a tie, there will NOT be a tie breaker question.