THE GEORGIA HELEN RUFFIN READING BOWL
- Each school will participate in four rounds.
- Each round will consist of 15 questions.
- Alternates may be substituted between rounds.
- Teams will receive 10 points for each answer.
- There will be no penalties for wrong answers.
- There will be five members on a team and up to five alternates.
- A school may have no more than one team.
- Coaches will be sent a Remind message to indicate to change rounds.
RULES DURING THE GAME/ROUND
*Each round will consist of 15 questions, with a total of no more than 60 questions cumulative.
- Students may hold the buzzer.
- When the student buzzes in, the console judge must acknowledge the student and team.
- The student who buzzed in must give the answer within 10 seconds. Conferring is NOT allowed.
- If the answer is incorrect, the question will be repeated for the other team. They will have 10 seconds to answer after buzzing in.
- If neither team buzzes in, the moderator will answer the question and proceed to the next question.
- If a contestant buzzes in before the completion of a question, the moderator stops reading and, after being recognized, the contestant must answer immediately. If an incorrect answer is given, the moderator reads the entire question and the opposing team has an opportunity to answer the question within 10 seconds.
- Any concern about an answer to a question MUST be addressed by the student to the MODERATOR before the next question is asked. The student will get the attention of the moderator by raising his/her hand. Every effort will be made to reconcile any challenges. The moderator’s decision is final.
- Coaches stay with your team. Your team may need you during the round if they have a challenge. Questions will be addressed before the round begins or after the round ends.
- If a round end in a tie, there will not be a tie breaker question.
The winners will be determined in the following manner: The 3 teams with the highest total points from all four of their rounds will be the winners. The first and second place teams will represent DeKalb at the Metro Region Bowl.
** BYE ROUNDS
Bye rounds are necessary when there are not an equal number of teams competing and are equal to a break in the competition.