Five exemplary DeKalb County School District employees were honored during the district’s 5th Annual Academy of Educational Excellence Awards on Nov. 11 at the Georgia World Congress Center.
The top teacher, principal, and support professionals were recognized for their contributions to student achievement. The winners include:
- Principal of The Year: Angela Thomas Bethea, Barack H. Obama Elementary Magnet School of Technology
- Teacher of the Year: Shayna Bishop, Flat Shoals Elementary
- Educational Support Professional I of The Year: Jacquelyn Taylor, Princeton Elementary
- Educational Support Professional II of The Year: Laquetta Anderson, Peachcrest Elementary School
- Educational Support Professional of the Year, Central Office: David Walker, Department of Public Safety
Employees are nominated by their colleagues and a panel of education professionals select the winners in each category. Winners received a cash prize, a crystal trophy, laptop computer and printer, a specially-designed ring, and a one-night stay at a Marriott hotel.
“Each day, the men and women of this district share their talent, dedication and passion to make sure every boy and girl in our care has an opportunity to excel in college and become a contributing member of our society,” said Superintendent/CEO R. Stephen Green. “I could not be more proud of our Educational Excellence Awards, and the entire DeKalb County School District team.”