To: DCSD Parents and Stakeholders
From: Mrs. Ramona Tyson, Interim Superintendent
Subject: End of Year Guide for Students and Families
Date: April 14, 2020
Today, Tuesday, April 14, 2020, the DeKalb County School District is announcing the plan to close the 2019-2020 school year. We will end the school year 4 days early on May 15th for grades PreK-11 instead of May 21st. The school year for Seniors will end on May 8th.
The End of Year Guide for Students and Families for 2019-2020 provides detailed information regarding final grade calculations, promotion/retention, summer extended learning opportunities, school year learning recovery opportunities, end of year activities, and a FAQ guide. A copy of the guide is attached.
We will end the year as follows:
- Last day for Seniors will be Friday, May 8, 2020
- Last day for PreK-11 will be Friday, May 15, 2020 (four days early than the original calendar date of May 21, 2020).
- The week of May 11-15 will be an academic support week for seniors and their teachers. The deadline for teachers to post the senior grades is Friday, May 15th.
- Graduation ceremonies will be moved from the week of May 18-23rd to the week of June 22-27th. We have not made the decision yet on type of graduation but two options are on the table.
- Virtual Graduation
- Hybrid Face-to-Face with seniors and staff only (will live stream and broadcast on Comcast channel PDSTV24 for families and friends)
- Final decision will be made near end of April/first of May pending Governor’s decision on Shelter in Place.
Post-planning for teachers will be the week of May 18-22 instead of originally planned May 22nd. The deadline for teachers to post PreK-11 grades is Wednesday, May 20th.
We have posted the End of Year Guide for Students and Families for 2019-2020 on the District’s website.