After careful consideration, the school district is excited to announce the re-opening of our After School Programs for 2021-22. Schools should be able to re-open safely by following the established mitigating strategies announced by the CDC and DCSD recommendations to safely return to school.
The following prevention strategies recommended by CDC to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 in schools include:
- Universal and correct use of masks.
- Physical distancing (maximized to the greatest extent possible).
- Handwashing and respiratory etiquette.
- Cleaning and maintaining healthy facilities.
- Contact tracing in combination with isolation and quarantine.
- Getting vaccinated.
Masks are required for staff and students for activities occurring indoors. Masks are optional for outdoor activities.
What procedures must I have in place to provide ASEDP?
To operate a program, the following key considerations must be in place:
- Program Recertification: Contact the ASEDP Coordinator for the program status.
- Background Checks: Ensure that all staff members who are working with the after-school extended day program have background checks on file. Background checks are completed through Bright from the Start – Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning.
- Ratio of Staff to Students: Ensure the 1:15 ratio is the standard, and students can safely socially distance based on the CDC’s recommendations.
- Mitigation Strategies: Staff should adhere to the recommended mitigation strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Mitigation strategies include wearing face masks/coverings, social distancing, isolation from others if students or staff present symptoms, and handwashing. Note: Staff must follow all guidelines outlined in the Handbook on how to handle positive COVID-19 reported cases
- Use of Vendors: External vendors should follow all mitigation strategies including the wearing of face masks.
- Pick-up of Students: ASEDP staff should escort students to the pick-up area. Parents and visitors should not enter the building. ASEDP staff must verify the identity of individuals and use a variety of sanitized pens for parent sign-out.