DeKalb County School District (DCSD) proudly celebrates Georgia Exceptional Children’s Week (March 6-10, 2017). This is an opportunity to honor children and youth with exceptionalities, and the professionals who serve them.
The statewide theme for this year’s event is “Helping Education Fit.” According to the Council for Exceptional Children, special education concentrates on providing individualized education, related services, and specialized accommodations so that students with special needs make great strides, prepare for transition, and as a result, achieve academic and life-long personal success and independence.
DCSD is hosting a series of activities in support of Georgia Exceptional Children’s Week, including:
- Exceptional education students across the district have designed artwork in honor of the event. The winning design was placed on buttons that are now being sold as a fundraiser to help send the students to summer camp.
- Change for Champions for Special Olympics throughout the month of March in designated schools and departments.
- March 6 – Winners of the Exceptional Children’s Bulletin Board Contest will be selected (first, second and third place ribbons awarded).
- March 8 – The winner of the annual Exceptional Children’s Week button contest will be announced in a ceremony at DeKalb School’s Administrative & Instructional Complex.
- There will be Food Trucks on March 8 & 10 from 11am-2pm at the East DeKalb Campus (see flyer below). Donations are accepted.