The health and physical education (HPE) department is composed of elementary and secondary HPE specialists who serve all schools and centers. Our mission is to contribute to each student’s growth and development in the physical, cognitive, and social domains through a movement-based curriculum. This will involve a unified approach to education (parents, community, and school) coupled with the delivery of a planned, sequential K-12 instructional curriculum that teaches the Georgia Performance Standards, content and skills necessary to exemplify good health and maintain a physically active lifestyle. Quality health and physical education instruction involves the whole child by providing psychomotor, cognitive, and affective benefits.
- Visit georgiastandards.org to view the Georgia Performance Standards for health and physical education courses.
- All schools are strongly recommended to incorporate thirty minutes of daily physical education.
- All physical education specialists will utilize the state-mandated FITNESSGRAM® assessment for grades one through twelve to evaluate their students’ fitness levels.
- Outdoor instruction may occur when the temperature is forty-one degrees or higher. Staff shall consider the wind-chill factor when planning outdoor instructional activities.
- All K-5 students shall have at least fifteen minutes of supervised, unstructured break time each day. Breaks shall not be withheld from students for disciplinary or academic reasons.
- Supervised, unstructured breaks may be provided for students in grades 6-8 at the discretion of the principal.
- All high school students are required to take Health (0.5 Carnegie unit), Personal Fitness (0.5 Carnegie unit) and one additional physical education elective (1.0 Carnegie unit) to meet graduation requirements.
Elective Exemption for 9-12 Graders
Criteria to Exempt One Unit of Physical Education
- 135 practice or activity hours beyond the school day will be required to exempt 1 Carnegie unit of physical education. Documentation is required.
- 65 practice or activity hours beyond the school day will be required to exempt 1/2 Carnegie of physical education. Documentation is required.
- Activity hours will only be accepted for DeKalb County School District sponsored activities.
Students may exempt the additional physical education unit by participating in the following approved school-sponsored activities:
Approved Non-State Funded Activities
(*) Represents local school activities
- Marching Band
- Cross Country
- Dance Teams*
- Drill Teams*
- Flag Squad*
- Ice Hockey*
- Performance Theatre*
- Pep Squad*
- Step Team*
Approved State Funded Courses
- Jennifer J. Powell (Coordinator)
- Job Title 1, Job Title 2, Job Title 3
- 678.676.0229 (fax)